In the dark morning hour, unable to sleep, staring, mind spinning, I ask, “Why am I here?”
The answers arise, unstoppable:
- To overcome feeling that you must be famous to be worth something.
- To give according to the talents I gave you: understanding, compassion, wisdom in your academic field, capturing the essence in your writing, loving.
- To show others age has no boundaries in physical strength, intelligence, memory, awareness, creativity.
- To chop wood, carry water where you are and trust that these are enough and more.
- To do all for My Glory and acknowledgment.
- To give thanks always for My sustenance of you and yours.
- To know that I am taking care of all, and you have nothing to fear.
- To be easy, relax, and bask in My constant, consistent eternal Care.
Thank you, I whisper, thank you. And finally, I sleep.
~Noelle Sterne, Author, editor, writing coach and consultant, spiritual counselor, nurturer, bolsterer, motivator, reassurer, and handholder for mainstream and scholarly writers, Noelle Sterne is the author of writing craft, spiritual, and academic articles. She has published over 400 pieces in print and online venues, including Author Magazine, Black Fox Literary Magazine, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Children’s Book Insider, Graduate Schools Magazine, InnerSelf, Inside Higher Ed, Inspire Me Today, Mused, Pen and Prosper, Ruminate, Textbook and Academic Authors Association, Thesis Whisperer, Transformation Coaching Magazine, Romance Writers Report, Story Monsters Ink, Two Drops of Ink, Unity Magazine, Women in Higher Education, Women on Writing, Writer’s Digest, and The Writer.
With a Ph.D. from Columbia University, Noelle has for 30 years helped doctoral candidates wrestle their dissertations to completion (finally). Based on her practice, her Challenges in Writing Your Dissertation: Coping with the Emotional, Interpersonal, and Spiritual Struggles (Rowman & Littlefield Education, September 2015) addresses students’ often overlooked or ignored but crucial nonacademic difficulties that can seriously prolong their agony. In Noelle`s Trust Your Life: Forgive Yourself and Go After Your Dreams (Unity Books, 2011), she draws examples from her academic consulting and other aspects of life to help readers release regrets and reach lifelong yearnings.
On invitation, Noelle recorded a webinar for Textbook and Academic Authors Association as part of their summer “Writing Gym”: “Get Started, Continue Your Draft, and Finish!” In September 2018, she is giving two workshops on mini-memoirs.
Following her own advice, Noelle is now completing her first novel. Visit Noelle at
Excellence Reporter © 2018 Noelle Sterne